Sunday, April 26, 2009

Motorcycle Tragedy

I just read a story on www.knoxnews.com about a motorcyclist killed in Knoxville- in an area where I actually travel alot. A big truck used for trimming trees turned in front of a motorcyclist & caused him to run into the back of the truck. The motorcyclist was thrown from his bike & killed. He was wearing a helmet-but the story did not indicate what (if any) other protective gear he was wearing. The driver was charged with vehicular homicide. As many of you know--my fiancee & I both drive a motorcycle & can attest to the fact that some people just don't care that we are out there & are very vulnerable. We both love to ride & will hopefully do so for many years to come & we are very careful to look out for drivers who fail to see us or who see us & don't seem to care. So it saddens us to hear stories like this.
I for one--will not get on that motorcycle with anything less than a full--face helmet (covering my entire head & face)--a protective jacket & leather gloves. Just today while riding on the back of the cycle--with Shannon driving---I was hit in my right hand by a pebble. While it didn't hurt at all--it reminded me of why I put gloves on---not to mention that if I get knocked off my bike--I don't want to shred the skin on my hands. One of my co-workers mentioned to me on Friday as I left work--that it seemed kind of hot--for wearing my jacket. But I told him--I don't get on the bike without it. I enjoy riding---but I take the necessary precautions--because the older I get--the more I realize that I am not invincible or indestructible. I do enjoy riding & hope to one day get my own motorcycle so that Shannon & I can get even more enjoyment of out seeing the countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment