Friday, January 16, 2009

My Very First Blog!!

This is my very first blog on this site. Previously I used myspace to blog--but I think this will be alot easier. Once in a while-something triggers a strong reaction out of me--& I feel the need to get my thoughts down in writing. This is usually after I have expressed them verbally to various people. I don't expect everyone to agree with me--but I put forth my thoughts nonetheless & accept comments humbly.
So allow me to stand on my soapbox for the 1st time here:

The weather here in East Tennessee has been very cooold today. Lows reached close to 0 degrees. What baffles me is that schools all over the area actually closed because of the cold weather. If you read my profile or know me already---you know I am originally from northeastern NY State--where this cold weather is commonplace & in fact---gets well below 0 degrees routinely in the month of January. So yes--I am certainly biased. That being said---I feel strongly that kids & adults alike can put coats & hats & gloves on & carry on with life. Never have I been in a place where cold weather closed schools. People here in TN are not accustomed to the cold weather & I understand that. My fiancee wisely pointed out that in all likelihood--alot of the kids who didn't have school today--probably spent time outside anyways. It strikes me as a lack of commitment to education--for school districts to close over something so ridiculous. Cold weather is dangerous if you don't dress for it---but put proper clothing on--& go about your day. Simple.

1 comment: